THE SCHOOL AND THE ENVIRONMENT

Woolhampton CE Primary School, Woolhampton Hill, Upper Woolhampton, Berkshire, RG7 5TB      0118 9712270

Return to Home Page
Our   school   is   situated   in   a   beautiful   rural location,   approximately   one   mile   north of    Woolhampton    village.    We    are    very proud   of   our   local   environment,   which   is used   extensively   to   enrich   and   support children’s learning. The   original   school   building,   now   mainly used   for   assemblies,   physical   education and   lunch,   is   a   fine   example   of   an   early   Victorian   school.   It   was   built   in   1856   by   the   Countess   of   Falmouth   to educate   the   children   of   the   Woolhampton   estate   and   village.   A   local   dignitary,   Mr James   Blyth,   purchased   the   school   and   gave   it   to   the   church.   We   are   now   a   Church of    England    Aided    School,    maintaining    close    links    with    our    local    clergy    and    our neighbouring church, St Peters. In   1974   the   four   large   classrooms   in   which   the   children   now   work,   were   opened   by The   Bishop   of   Reading.      In   2004   major   building   work   to   enlarge   the   school   hall   was completed.      Between   2011   and   2016   the   main   classroom   building   was   completely refurbished.    The    aim    of    the    refurbishment    project was   to   refurbish   all   4   classrooms   to   create   vibrant, spacious   and   modern   teaching   and   learning   environments,   incorporating   the latest   technologies.   The   school   office,   head’s   office,   KS1   and   KS2   toilets   were also refurbished. The   school   recognises   the   importance   of   computing   and   has   equipped   all classrooms   with   a   high   number   of   computers,   with   children   in   Year   6   having their own personal desktop computer. The   school   is   a   founder   member   of   the   Douai   Field   Association,   giving   us   access   to the   Douai   playing   fields   and   tennis   courts   at   the   rear   of   the   school.   We   have   good links   with   our   neighbouring   private   school,   Elstree,   and   use   a   number   of   their superb facilities, including the purpose built sports hall and swimming pool. Village historian, John Trigg, has written an informative short book about the history of the school, from its foundation in the 1840’s to the 1950’s. Many thanks to John for allowing us to make this booklet freely available to parents.
Non-Fiction Library School Play Equipment Y6 Classroom with one-to-one desktop computer provision The Sensory Garden